Jobs for Veterans Program
Kansas Department of Commerce
The U.S. Department of Labor, Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) offers employment and training services to eligible veterans through a non-competitive Jobs for Veterans State Grants Program. Under this grant program, funds are allocated to State Workforce Agencies in direct proportion to the number of veterans seeking employment within their state. The grants support two principal staff positions: Disabled Veterans' Outreach Program Specialists (DVOP) Local Veterans' Employment Representatives (LVER). This grant provides funds to exclusively serve veterans, other eligible persons, transitioning service members, their spouses and, indirectly, employers. DVOP and LVER staff provide services to all veterans that Title 38 indicates are eligible for their services, but their efforts are concentrated, according to their respective roles and responsibilities, on outreach and the provision and facilitation of direct client services to those who have been identified as most in need of intensive employment and training assistance. DVOP and LVER staff, through outreach with employers, develop increased hiring opportunities within the local work force by raising the awareness of employers of the availability and the benefit of hiring veterans.
List of Services
In addition to core employment services, vet staff also provide the following services:
- Comprehensive assessment of education, skills, and abilities;
- In–depth interviewing and evaluation to identify employment barriers and appropriate employment goals;
- Group and individual career coaching;
- Short-term pre-vocational services that may include development of learning and communication skills, interviewing skills, personal maintenance skills, and professional conduct to prepare individuals for career goals;
- Development of an individual employment plan that identifies employment goals, interim objectives, and appropriate services that will enable the Veteran to meet his or her employment goals.
Vet staff work with other service providers to promote the advantages of hiring Veterans to employers and employer groups. They market job
seeking Veterans as individuals who have highly marketable skills and experience. Vet staff serve as an advocate for Veterans with business, industry, and other community-based organizations by participating in a variety of outreach activities
- Planning and participation in job and career fairs;
- Coordination with unions, apprenticeship programs, and business organizations to promote employment and training programs for Veterans;
- Informing Federal Contractors of their responsibility to recruit and retain qualified Veterans; and
- Promoting credentialing and licensing opportunities for Veterans.
1025 Main St.
Great Bend, KS 67530
Phone: (620) 793-5445
Fax: (620) 793-3188
332 E. 8th Street
Hays, KS 67601
Phone: (785) 625-5654
Fax: (785) 625-0092
609 E. 14th Ave.
Hutchinson, KS 67501
Phone: (620) 665-3559
Fax: (620) 728-8161
107 E. Spruce St.
Garden City, KS 67846
Phone: (620) 276-2339
Fax: (620) 276-7306
2308 First Avenue
Dodge City, KS 67801
Phone: (620) 227-2149
Fax: (620) 227-9667
2259 S. 9th St., Ste 10
Salina, KS 67401
Phone: (785) 827-0385
Fax: (785) 827-2307
Contact Information for Referrals
State Veterans Services Manager
for Dodge City, Hays, Great Bend, Garden City and Hutchinson WFC.
for Salina WFC