Jobs for Veterans Program
Kansas Department of Commerce
The U.S. Department of Labor's Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) program is designed to provide employment and training services to eligible veterans. Its primary objective is to assist veterans in transitioning smoothly from military service to the civilian workforce and to help them achieve meaningful and sustainable employment.
Under the VETS program, the department administers the non-competitive Jobs for Veterans State Grants Program. This program allocates funds to State Workforce Agencies based on the number of veterans seeking employment within each state. The grants support two key positions: Disabled Veterans' Outreach Program Specialists (DVOP) and Local Veterans' Employment Representatives (LVER).
DVOP specialists and LVERs play crucial roles in delivering services to veterans. DVOP specialists focus on providing intensive employment and training assistance to veterans who are most in need, and also conduct outreach and build relationships with local employers to increase hiring opportunities for veterans. DVOP specialists work to ensure that eligible veterans receive the necessary support and resources to successfully reintegrate into the workforce.
The VETS program serves not only veterans but also transitioning service members, their spouses, and other eligible individuals. By offering a range of employment and training services, such as career counseling, job placement assistance, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training, VETS aims to enhance veterans' employability and facilitate their successful transition into civilian employment.
In addition to direct services, the VETS program collaborates with employers, community-based organizations, and other government agencies to promote the hiring of veterans. This includes raising awareness among employers about the skills and benefits that veterans bring to the workplace, fostering a veteran-friendly work environment, and advocating for the employment rights of veterans.
Overall, the VETS program is committed to honoring the service and sacrifices of veterans by equipping them with the tools and support they need to achieve gainful employment and build rewarding careers in the civilian workforce.
List of Services
In addition to core employment services, vet staff also provide the following services:
- Comprehensive assessment of education, skills, and abilities;
- In–depth interviewing and evaluation to identify employment barriers and appropriate employment goals;
- Group and individual career coaching;
- Short-term pre-vocational services that may include development of learning and communication skills, interviewing skills, personal maintenance skills, and professional conduct to prepare individuals for career goals;
- Development of an individual employment plan that identifies employment goals, interim objectives, and appropriate services that will enable the Veteran to meet his or her employment goals.
Vet staff work with other service providers to promote the advantages of hiring Veterans to employers and employer groups. They market job
seeking Veterans as individuals who have highly marketable skills and experience. Vet staff serve as an advocate for Veterans with business, industry, and other community-based organizations by participating in a variety of outreach activities
- Planning and participation in job and career fairs;
- Coordination with unions, apprenticeship programs, and business organizations to promote employment and training programs for Veterans;
- Informing Federal Contractors of their responsibility to recruit and retain qualified Veterans
1025 Main St.
Great Bend, KS 67530
Phone: (620) 793-5445
332 E. 8th Street
Hays, KS 67601
Phone: (785) 625-5654
609 E. 14th Ave.
Hutchinson, KS 67501
Phone: (620) 665-3559
107 E. Spruce St.
Garden City, KS 67846
Phone: (620) 276-2339
236 N. San Jose Dr. Rm42A
Dodge City, KS 67801
Phone: (620) 227-2149
2259 S. 9th St., Ste 10
Salina, KS 67401
Phone: (785) 827-0385
Contact Information for Referrals
for Dodge City, Hays, Great Bend, Garden City and Hutchinson Offices
for Salina Offices